The community of Hallettsville pays tribute to the brave men and women who valiantly served out country during the Vietnam War with the Vietnam Veterans Monument.
Located next to the Hallettsville Chamber of Commerce at 1614 North Texana Street in Hallettsville, this monument is a beautiful tribute and well worth a visit.
AH-1G Cobra 67-15470 was built by Bell Helicopter Textron in January 1968.
In February of 1968, 470 began her career as a trainer aircraft at Ft. Rucker AL. and used in the training of new Army Aviators until 1982.
In 1982, she was modified again and became an AH-1S and assigned to D Co. 7th Avn. Bn. 7th ID at Ft. Ord, CA. until the summer of 1985.
67-15470 got a make-over modification during the summer of 1985, (probably @ Corpus Christi TX) and began a new life as an AH-1F Cobra (fully modernized, MC.)
In 1986, she was assigned to the 2/227th or 2/227th, 3rd AD in Hanau, Germany. She was probably transferred to 4/7 Cav when the 227th transitioned to AH-64A’s. if so, she served in “Desert Storm” with 4/7 Cav.
In 1993 she was transferred to 3/228th Avn Bn. of the Michigan National Guard where she remained until August of 2000.
She was retired in September of 2000 and was placed into storage at Ft. Drum, NY in June of 2001.
She was procured by the Vietnam Veterans of America (Chap 824) Hallettsville, TX. In August of 2004 and has found her final resting place in front of the local Chamber of Commerce.